There is really no need to panic. Keeping ourselves healthy in an epidemic.
Although the Coronavirus is a new virus hitting our streets, it certainly isn’t the only virus that affects the respiratory system.
Coronavirus panic has reached state of mania with fear inciting unnecessary behaviour leading to limited resources on our supermarket shelves.
Viruses have been around since the beginning of time and the best way to stop yourself from being affected is keeping yourself healthy. In the unlikely event you do contract it, you are more likely to beat it and resolve the symptoms of the Corona Virus in a short period of time.
Why is the Coronavirus affecting the elderly?
The coronavirus appears to be impacting the elderly more so who we know are the more vulnerable members of our community. The reason being, as we age we are more susceptible to becoming ill and this is due to many factors. These include previous or current illness(es) affecting our wellbeing, poor nutritional intake, lack of mobility or exercise, lack of fresh air, poor sleeping habits and the list goes on. The important factor in all these stories we have heard where the Coronavirus has taken a life is the lack of facts. You have no idea what state of health that person was in at their time of death.
Keeping ourselves healthy in an epidemic.
Acupuncture Strengthens Immunity in the eye of the Corona.
- Defensive Qi: this is the ‘qi’ that circulates on the exterior of our body. It will protect us from invading pathogens/viruses. When we are susceptible to frequent colds/flus/viruses our defensive qi is low and we need to strengthen it. Acupuncture has ‘defensive qi’ specific points that can improve a person’s resilience to pathogens circulating in our atmosphere.
- Immunity: Our blood carries immune specific cells that are signalled when a foreign object enters our body. Acupuncture works to improve the body’s natural process of manufacturing blood (from the food we eat and water we drink) to ensure our immune system is ready at all times.
- Lung Qi: When the respiratory system is invaded, and the lines of defence are challenged our lung qi is fighting to restore optimal health. This process causes our lung qi to move erratically causing coughing to present. Acupuncture can encourage the lung qi to disperse and descend the qi which resolves the cough. This process is of course coupled with other methods we use to supplement and support the body to completely resolve the issue.
Before you go and get acupuncture, here are some important points to note:
- Needles are made from surgical stainless steel in a lab to ensure sterility and quality needles.
- Acu-points chosen for this type of treatment are located on the lower legs and hands.
- Needles are retained for 20-25 minutes as this is the required time it takes to move qi throughout the entire body.
- Needles are discarded in a sharps container after single use. Run like the wind if anyone pulls needles out of a jar as they are packed in sealed plastic packaging to ensure the sterility from the lab is delivered to our clinic.
Eat nutritious rich food
Additionally, eating nutritious rich foods that will allow essential nutrients to enter your body and improve immune health is paramount. These foods include a nice variety of local, seasonal fruits and vegetables, a mixture of nuts, grains and legumes and the avoidance of greasy, fatty foods, high sugar foods and take away.
Going to bed early will keep your immune system in great shape.
Manage stress and take time out for yourself to keep your immunity boosted.
Ensure that you keep yourself well hydrated which will keep your immune system strong.
Wash your hands especially when visiting public spots
The obvious and one of the most important is washing your hands after being out in public with special focus on using public rest-rooms, public transport, play centres and where there is a high concentration of people. This is important at all times and really should not be just now due to the coronavirus.
There are many viruses out there
Don’t forget there are numerous viruses people get, most often from working/studying at schools, the workplace or travelling. Many in which don’t have a famous name as the coronavirus but can leads to the same symptoms or if not worse.
Health is not instant
We live in a time of instant gratification with technology delivering everything we need instantly to our phones and other devices. Health doesn’t work this way and we need to understand that our body will be healthiest with continued long term love and support so that every aspect of our health (mind and body) is nurtured and healthy.